I’ve been in communication with dozens of constituents stranded abroad in foreign countries, many of whom are facing extortionate airfares and a lack of flights.
From the outset, I’ve urged the Foreign and Commonwealth office to make every effort to repatriate citizens, including chartering our own flights where necessary. The Government’s repatriation scheme is too little, too late. I’ll be lobbying them further until all my constituents are safely back in Streatham.
Here’s the latest Coronavirus-related travel advice from the Foreign Office: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus.
If you or someone you know is stranded, please follow the advice below.
If you are a constituent:
- Double-check you’re contacting the right MP by confirming your constituency (just type in your postcode): https://www.theyworkforyou.com
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following contact details: Full name, UK address, Date of birth, Passport number, Current location, Contact phone number, Medical conditions.
- Go to your nearest embassy or consulate to register and confirm they’ve received your contact information and other details.
- Monitor the relevant Foreign and Commonwealth Twitter feed for the most up to date information on the ground.
- Some British ambassadors are also issuing Twitter updates on the latest developments.
If you are a constituent (friend or family member) but the person stranded doesn’t live in Streatham:
Your first point of contact will be the MP for the constituency your friend or family member lives in. The quickest way of moving forwards will be:
- Determining who their MP is by confirming their constituency: https://www.writetothem.com/
- Getting them to contact their MP directly with all the appropriate details: Full name, UK address, Date of birth, Passport number, Current location, Contact phone number, Medical conditions. You can do this on their behalf if they are unable to.
- Get them to register with the relevant consulate or embassy
- Get them to monitor the relevant Foreign and Commonwealth Twitter feeds for the most up to date information on the ground.
If you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me at email@example.com.