On Thank A Teacher Day, Bell Ribeiro-Addy has thanked teaching staff in Streatham and across the UK, expressing solidarity and support in the face of calls from government and media outlets for workers to return to schools.
The 20th of May marks the annual National Thank a Teacher Day, established by The Teaching Awards Trust.
Her show of thanks comes as the Government appeared to hesitate over plans to reopen schools as early as June 1 in the face of opposition from councils, trade unions, teachers and parents.
Earlier this week, Bell visited Richard Atkins Primary School in Brixton Hill to deliver a third round of donated laptops.
Bell Ribeiro-Addy MP said:
“On National Thank a Teacher Day, I’d like to say a huge thank you to teaching staff in Streatham and beyond.
“It’s been a pleasure to work closely with primary schools in the area to help them get laptops to pupils in need during the lockdown and enable them to deliver a full education programme.
“In recent weeks, I’ve seen first-hand the dedication of teaching staff going into work to look after the children of key workers and the creativity of others who are educating pupils remotely with limited resources.
“Schools in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are not going back, so why should schools in England until there’s unanimity that it is safe to do so?
“I stand with teachers and the National Education Union, who have outlined tests in order to safeguard staff, pupils and parents alike before we begin opening schools more widely.
“Teachers need no lessons from the Government or the right-wing press, who are trying to pressure them back into school before they can show it’s safe.”
- More information on the Thank a Teacher Day initiative: https://thankateacher.co.uk/thank-a-teacher-day/
- ‘Streatham MP delivers first batch of donated laptops for kids to work from home’ (24 Apr 2020) https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/streatham-mp-delivers-first-batch-of-donated-laptops-for-kids-to-work-from-home/
- ‘Government rows back on 1 June English primary schools reopening plan’, The Guardian (20 May 2020): https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/20/government-rows-back-on-1-june-english-primary-schools-reopening-plan
- NEU’s Five Tests: https://neu.org.uk/neu-five-tests-government-schools-can-re-open
- Photos of Bell’s visit to Richard Atkins Primary School above.
For further information about this press release, please contact Ollie Collard, Communications Officer, Office of Bell Ribeiro-Addy MP at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07918110617.