Thank you to everyone who attended Wednesday’s Black Lives Matter Streatham meeting. It was great to see so many people on the call and I hope everyone took away something new. As promised, here are some resources which you may find useful: some more background on our excellent speakers, a list of upcoming demonstrations (please do follow the latest social distancing protocol if attending) and also a selection of educational resources which you might find useful for yourselves and for educating others.
More about the ongoing work and activism of last night’s panellists in Streatham and beyond:
- Check out Black Thrive’s website: https://www.blackthrive.org.uk/Get-Involved/
- Follow Baby Blue’s page, Justice for Black Lives (@justice_forblacklives) on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/justice_forblacklives/
- Follow Bess’s Black Lives Matter LDN page on Facebook, which regularly publicises upcoming meetings and protests in London: https://www.facebook.com/BLMLondon/
- Stand Up to Racism’s website is a great hub for information & educational resources: https://www.standuptoracism.org.uk/
- If Emerson inspired you, why not join the Labour Party? https://join.labour.org.uk/
- If you’re Streatham-based, please email email@example.com for more info.
There are also lots of demonstrations taking place over July near Streatham and slightly further afield:
- Friday 10 July – Protest to save Sistah Space (support centre for DV victims of African/Caribbean heritage) outside Hackney Town Hall, 5pm
- Saturday 11 July – Protest against the murder of innocent Black lives, meeting outside the US Embassy at 2pm
- Sunday 12 July – All Black Lives UK march on Parliament Square, meeting by Marble Arch at 2pm
- Sunday 19 July – Wandsworth Black Lives Matter rally on Tooting Common, from 12:30pm (this is back to being a weekly event after this)
- Saturday 25 July – Stand up to Racism demo Black Lives Matter: Ban Stop and Search, Windrush Square at 12pm.
Useful educational resources you can use and share with others for those difficult conversations:
- Stand Up to Racism’s list of current Black Lives Matter demands are a great starting point for a birds-eye view of current anti-racism campaigns in the UK.Harvard’s implicit bias test: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html
- An introduction to the idea of intersectionality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1islM0ytkE&feature=youtu.be
- TED talk on recognising white privilege: https://www.ted.com/talks/peggy_mcintosh_how_to_recognize_your_white_privilege_and_use_it_to_fight_inequality?language=en
- Explanation of microaggressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPRA4g-3yEk&feature=youtu.be
- Motivational BLM video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv3XmmQOOao&feature=youtu.be